Our immune system doesn't just "switch on" when there's a foreign threat. It's continually fighting, monitoring, and regulating itself from the moment we're born.
THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
The Immune System: Your Ultimate Warriors Within
Brilliantly Designed to Adapt & Survive
The overall function is of the immune system is to prevent or limit infection. Understandably, the hard working parts of this system can become worn down, as we age and via the ever increasing amount of threats that seem to be conspiring against us. Those that we introduce through the choices we make on a daily basis and many from the fast paced environment we're all living in.
As you read, you'll notice our use of military nomenclature for the various parts of the immune system, recognizing the different roles and responsibilities of each, individually and collectively as a team. The immuno-warriors within are programmed to defend, protect, support, recover, AND become even more resilient - via 'learning' - where with each new wave of fresh warriors that replaces the dead cells; they inherit adaptive responses gained from new exposures.
One thing to make crystal clear; The wearing down of the immune system can become multiplied when YOU, the "Commander," are experiencing moments of feeling "worn down," OR when you believe you've already lost. When the unstoppable spirit within--our "vital life force," begins to lose hope, these messages are echoed within our internal bodies of life.
How Did We Lose Touch With The Fire Within?
Awareness of Resilience
For many, the strength of our immunity is only thought of when we recognize a symptom or when we think we've been "exposed."
- Child comes home from daycare with a runny nose.
- Cold and flu season is on the horizon. Uh oh...
- Return home from a business trip with a long flight and hotel stay.
- Our partner tells us about a scratchy throat or stuffy nose.
- Hugged someone you haven't seen in a while.
- Loss of sleep or just feeling like we have no energy and need to lay down.
and many of these concerns have become progressively worse...
- Don't hug grandpa or grandma
- Nope, we can't shake hands anymore; let's use elbows.
- Wait - you're not 6 feet away from me... watch out. Oops, sorry.
2020 was a life-impacting year. Those who've never thought twice about the immune system have taken a more profound interest, and those already experiencing health issues had their concerns amplified.
Empathizing with all, we searched for the blessings amidst the confusion.
Could We Inspire People To Make a Conscious Shift ?
Confidence in Life > Fear of Disease
Thinking about immunity as a reaction to exposure is all wrong--but that’s what we’ve been taught.
- Wake up with a cold? Take Vitamin C.
- Around people who are sick? You're bound to get sick too.
- Get the flu or 'catch a little bug' every winter? There's no way around it.
This is why you see so many "immune-boosting" half measures where a company can make a claim of "immunity" purely based on the over-dosing of an individual ingredient. Most of us have been overwhelmed with marketing messages promoting "mega-dosing" when we need a “boost”, or when we need to prepare for "flu-season."
Our immune systems are working on our most miserable sick day and our most joyful days of good health.
Start thinking of immunity as a modulator of health and disease.
Your lifestyle moves the needle between an immune system that’s “always fighting” and one that’s “nurturing optimal health.”
Our hope is for you to have a better understanding of how the immune system works, along with the things we can do proactively to ensure its functioning as optimally as possible.
Role of the Immune System
What does the immune system actually do?
The immune system is our natural defense system. It’s always on high alert, constantly scanning for threats, neutralizing harmful foreign agents and rebuilding the vitality of your cells.
Our immune system is running patrols daily - identifying infected or damaged cells, as well as infectious microbes such as viruses and bacteria, and either immediately neutralizes the threat by preventing them from 'getting in' or mounts a response to destroy.
If the response falls short, people get sick; if the response goes overboard or activates without a threat, people can develop allergic reactions and autoimmune diseases.
Immune System Anatomy
Let’s break down the parts of the immune system. You’ll learn how your body works to help you survive.
The Biological Arsenal
The Biological Response
Biological barriers against disease:1,3
- Saliva: Breaks down bacterial cell walls.
- Tear fluid: Blocks pathogens from entering through the eyes.
- Mucus: Traps foreign agents in the airways, gut, urinary tract, and other areas.
- Stomach acid: Kills germs in your food once they enter the stomach.
- Protective bacteria: Alert the immune system to take action in the gut and on the skin.
Self-protective organs and tissues:1,4,5
- Tonsils/Adenoids: Stop pathogens from entering through the nose and mouth.
- Thymus: Creates T cells that monitor cellular changes.
- Spleen: Stores immune cells, including phagocytes, to filter germs.
- Bone marrow: Creates lymphocytes before moving into the bloodstream.
- Axillary lymph nodes: Filter out fluid, bacteria, and abnormal cells.
- Peyer’s patch: Line the intestines.
- Appendix: May serve as storage for healthy gut bacteria.
- Inguinal lymph nodes: Filter out fluid, bacteria, and abnormal cells.
Strategic fighting tactics:2
- White blood cells: Scan for pathogens to launch an immune response.
- Antibodies: Mark foreign microbes for an attack.
- Cytokines: Signaling molecules that white blood cells use to instruct and communicate with other cells.
- Fever: Increases your body temperature to kill certain microbes.
Innate Arm of Immunity
Innate immunity is the defense response you were born with. Its aim is generalized protection to fight any stressor you face. Think of it like a frontline infantry.
Your skin, stomach acid, cough reflex, enzymes in tears, oils on the skin, mucus, swelling, phagocytes and pus are all a part of innate immunity.
Adaptive Arm of Immunity
Adaptive immunity is a specialized defense where the body learns, responds and attacks specific agents. Think of it as a tactful, highly effective Special Forces unit.
Your body uses T cells to destroy infected cells and remember past offenders. B cells produce and release antibodies. Antibodies neutralize germs and fortify the innate immune response.
Cells of Immunity
Hematopoietic cells are stem cells that create blood cells and immune cells. They’re self-renewing and can transform into other specialized cells. To protect the body, hematopoietic cells can dictate targeted cell death.6
Molecules of Immunity
Cytokines are part of your natural immune and inflammatory response. They control the activity of immune cells and blood cells.7 While they’re protective in normal circumstances, our body can rapidly release too many cytokines (a cytokine storm), making them harmful.8
Cytokines are immune-modulating agents which are made up from proteins.
The 'Intel Immuno-Warriors" of the Immune System. Cytokines identify and send messages based on the threat. Notifying the Innate, Adaptive, or sometimes both - depending on the infection.
They also direct brain cells to release chemicals that tell your body you're sick or experiencing emotions like fear, worry or stress.
If you experience fatigue or any achy feeling - it's typically the impact of cytokines in our bodies.
Without cytokines our immune system wouldn't know when to activate because there would be no indication of a threat.
If the innate immune system fails to subdue an infection, the adaptive immune system is activated. The innate immune defense is typically good enough to neutralize most threats, but sometimes the specialized toolset of the adaptive is required, to produce pathogen-specific antigens to quickly identify the pathogen and destroy it.
Functions of Cytokines:
- Enhancing or suppressing production of other cytokines
- Exert positive or negative regulatory mechanisms for immune responses
Is my Immune System Healthy... or not?
How to Tell if Your Immune System is Healthy or Unhealthy
Compromised Immune System
- You’re riddled with frequent infections.
- You get sick and fear how well you’ll cope.
- You have frequent bouts of gastrointestinal distress.9
- You get more tired, even when you’re doing less and less.
- You’re choking down supplements and pushing yourself to the limit.
- You’re “going the extra mile,” deteriorating your sanity and immune resilience.
- You’re in survival mode and completely overwhelmed.
Optimized Immune System
- You’re all set with a healthy diet and exercise plan.
- You get enough sleep.
- You’re healthy! Maybe the healthiest you’ve ever been.
- You’re awake and present and thankful.
- You’ve grasped the power to change the trajectory of your energy and actions.
- You grow every day with magnetic ambition. Rather than exhausted, you’re energized.
- You’re in creation mode, liquefying stress into fuel.
What weakens your immune system?
- Smoking and alcohol
- Poor nutrition
- Pro-inflammatory compounds
- Autoimmune disease and immuno-compromising treatments
- Excessive exercise
- Constant stress and poor stress management
- Survival mode
- Hyperactive immunity (i.e. asthma, eczema, rhinitis)10
- Suboptimal sleep patterns
What strengthens your immune system?
- Proper diet
- Adequate exercise
- Immune-boosting micronutrients
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds
- Hand washing
- Avoid smoking and limiting alcohol
- Adequate sleep patterns
- Stress management tactics
Dangers of Stress on Immunity
Stress and Immunity
Let’s jump to the key modulator between a compromised immune system and an optimized one: stress.
We’re not talking about the presence or lack of stress... Stress will always be in your life.
The real power lies within how we diffuse chronic stress to lighten the load on the immune system.
Managing external and internal stress will let the immune system do its job: nourishing your cells for optimal health.
How to Optimize Your Immune System
How to Optimize Your Immune System
Think you’re too far gone -- too old -- too busy to optimize your immunity?
With the right selection of tools and knowledge, you can replace fear with confidence in your ability to optimize your immune system into the best it’s ever been.
Take steps to create an immune system that gets you out of just “surviving” and into “thriving.”
Changes to Make Today
- Push yourself to exercise
- Go to sleep earlier
- Research immune support products that work for you
- Cut out alcohol today
- Step into the sunlight
- Practice good hand hygiene
- Brush your teeth (and floss)
- Connect with someone
- If you smoke, quit
- Educate yourself about stress and stress management tactics (suggest link to Impacts of Stress)
Changes for Long-Term Vitality
- Get phytonutrients from fruits and vegetables
- Take a probiotic or choose probiotic-rich foods
- Take immune-supporting supplements consistently
- Fill your diet with anti-inflammatory compounds like omega-3s in fish, nuts and seeds
- Exercise for at least 150 minutes per week
- Reframe your day to get 7-9 hours of sleep as much as possible
- Practice stress management daily
Everything is Truly Connected
- Informed Health – How Does the Immune System Work?
- Better Health Channel – Immune System Explained
- Experimental Eye Research – Antimicrobial Compounds in Tears
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia – Parts of the Immune System
- Midwestern University – Appendix May Have Important Function, New Research Suggest
- National Institutes of Health – Hematopoietic Stem Cells
- American Cancer Society – Cytokines and Their Side Effects
- National Cancer Institute – Cytokine Storm
- Penn Medicine – 6 Signs You Have a Weakened Immune System
- Johns Hopkins Medicine – Disorders of the Immune System
"Total immune optimization begins within. Amazing things start to occur when the organisms within feel a renewed sense of awareness and confidence."
Five dads have learned a thing or two about survival over the last 40+ years. We intentionally poured all of our love and years of mastery within our crafts into 23VITALS™, with the knowledge of how powerful co-creation is when the driving force is love. I truly believe the positive reviews about how 'it just makes me feel better" and the fact that our product tastes so dang good is because we envisioned every scoop, giving your immuno-warriors a big hug and words of encouragement.
This product did not exist, in March of last year(2020), we searched. Exhausting all the things anyone concerned about the immune system should be taking. What we found, was not good enough, we challenged ourselves to solve for each:
Thoughtfulness. We found most products advertising 'immunity' without taking a more in-depth investigation into what was possible with immune system optimization to become even more resilient.
Transparency. We recognized a large gap in co-operative education around all of the different things one should be doing--proactively, to improve our immune system's internal environment.
Affordability. We identified value discrepancies in both individual ingredients and comprehensive product pricing.
Ease of use. A few months of consuming a counter full of different individual supplements was enough to know we were on the right path, coming up with an easy to remember, once a day fuel that tasted amazing.
Free Standard Shipping ● Free 30-Day Return Policy ● 100% Satisfaction Guarantee